Tuesday, August 28, 2012

PowerShell: Use WMI to get logged in users

First we have to get a list of the computers. I used the get-adcomputer cmdlet for this task.

Get-ADComputer -Filter {operatingsystem -like "*professional*"} | select -Expand Name > c:\lists\computers.txt

This command will list all computers with Professional in the name.

Then using WMI I use the list i created above to output a list of all the computers and the logged in user if there is one.

Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Computersystem -Computer (Get-Content "c:\lists\computers.txt") | Select Name, UserName | out-gridview

I use these commands for my servers with just a quick edit to the filter in the first command. This helps me after a patch cycle to make sure there are no users logged into any of the servers.

Thats it for now.
Rich

No comments:

Post a Comment